By Nadine Cafaro
On March 16, the Circleville Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 230 Shaw Road, where Frank Gonzalez and his 9-year-daughter resided. Unfortunately, the fire left the house unsalvageable, inside and out.
Other units responded to the scene, including Howells Fire Company and Mechanicstown Fire Company. The fire apparently started because of a lithium battery.
The Circleville Fire Company quickly took to Facebook to help out the family. “We are asking for the community to come together to help us help this family. We are asking anyone with clothes for a male (large shirt 32-30 pants and size 10 shoe) and clothes for a 9 year old girl (size 10-12 shoe size 4) or anything else you may want to donate including gift cards,” the post read.
The post also mentioned they’d be at a local station on March 18 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. collecting donations. Circleville Fire Company President Mike Hufcut mentioned the attendance was overwhelming.
“Between gift cards and cash donations, we raised almost $3,000, and the amount of clothing and just the amount of things that people brought was overwhelming,” said Hufcut.
Gonzalez and his daughter are currently staying at a neighbor’s house. Devastatingly, the family is also suffering the loss of their two pets, a German Shepherd and cat.
Those interested in donating can call Mike at 845-590-4222 or by donating to a GoFundMe started by Kayla Gonzalez. https://gofund.me/3ac5c8d7
“My dad does not have insurance and is currently out of work on disability. I don’t know where he will live, or how he will be able to rebuild our home. If you can help in any way it would mean the world to us both. If you are unable to help, please share this with your family and friends through social media to help me spread the word,” Kayla Gonzalez wrote in the GoFundMe, which is at $2,105.